I don't know what it's like there, but at our house it's FREEZING. Winter is not my favorite time of year, so any chance to warm up and pretend like I'm sitting down to a meal along the Mexican Riveria is completely welcome.
If you'd like to have that feeling too, then crank up your heater, put on some music with beach sound effects, and try our Chipotle Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Here's what you'll need:
- 3-4 Cups Shredded Cooked Chicken
- 8 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 10oz Can Diced Tomatoes w/green chilies
- 1 15oz Can Black Beans
- 1-2 Chipotle Peppers in Adobe Sauce (1 for mild or 2 for spicy)
- ½ teas. Chili Powder
- 1 teas. Ground Cumin
- ½ teas. Paprika
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2-3 Tab. olive oil
- 1-small onion
- 5-6 green onions
- 1/3 cup Cilantro
- Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Avocado, Tomato, Lime
- Sour Cream
- Prepare your ingredients - chop the green onions, cilantro, chipotle peppers, garlic, and the regular onion into small pieces.
2. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Stir in the above ingredients. Add cumin, chili powder, and paprika. Mix well and cook for about 5 minutes.
3. Now add the black beans (drained) and the can of diced tomatoes (drained). Mix well.
4. Now add the black beans (drained) and the can of diced tomatoes (drained). Mix well.
5. Next, stir in the cooked shredded chicken. Squeeze ¼ of a lime into the pot. Let simmer for another 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve with fresh cilantro, diced tomatoes, green onions, limes, cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips and avocados. I love this with extra sour cream and I smoosh my avocado so I can mix it in and enjoy it with each bite.
Enjoy your mini mental vacation - hopefully it will keep the cold away for a few minutes at least.